The castle in the Middle Ages
As far back as the 9th century, Montignac castle already existed in the form of a castrum, a type of fortified feudal village enclosed within a perimeter wall. It was situated on a rocky promontory overlooking the Vézère, giving it a strategic and easily defended position.
In the 11th century, the fortress became the seat of an important fiefdom when one of the daughters of the lord of Montignac married Boso III, Count of Périgord.
In the 14th century, during the Hundred Years’ War, King Charles VI of France led two expeditions against the lords of Montignac, Counts Archambaud V and VI, who sowed terror up to the gates of Périgueux. During the second attack in 1398, the keep (known as “Jacques”) was destroyed. Two years later, Charles VI confiscated the castle and its lands and gave it his brother, Louis d’Orléans.
During the 15th century, it was sold to Jean de Blois of Brittany and then transferred to the house of Albret through marriage.