Voice : Sarah Lafaye
Originally constructed in the 19th century in close proximity to the spa quarter, Hotel de la Fontaine once welcomed many bathers and tourists. The traditional spa architecture features attractive facades with an ornamental mix of red and white bricks forming geometric patterns.
In 1941, this hotel temporarily served as a reception centre for Polish officers in the French Free Zone. However, the location became too crowded and the men staying there were transferred to the Grand Hotel Thermal in the centre of the spa facilities.
Following the closure of the reception centre for Polish officers in 1942, this very same hotel was used a detention centre for political prisoners. On the orders of the Vichy government, several ministers and notable figures, members or supporters of the Government of the Third Republic, were placed under forced residence there, such as Edouard Herriot, Mayor of Lyon and Speaker of the Chamber of Deputies. This administrative detention facility was closed in 1944.