The current port of Talmont was built in 1835.
In 1917, the Americans sought to establish a naval base in the area to service their troops fighting in WWI. They planned a 1.5 km long unloading dock at Le Caillaud, where they blew up the cliffs with dynamite along with the “Rocher du Sphinx” (”Sphinx Rock”), by the Meschers side of the church. A railway line was constructed to service this future port. But, following the armistice of 11 November 1918, the project was suspended.
In 1920, local councillors discussed plans for a major oil port, but these plans never came to be.
In 1956, at the height of the Cold War, Talmont was the site of "Operation NODEX", a rapid assembly test of a temporary port carried out by the Americans using oil rigs, in the event of the destruction of NATO ports.
In 1975, plans for a marina were rejected due to the town’s protected area status.