Approximately 100 metres from here, from at least the 11th century, rose a motte and bailey castle, which became a fortified castle with a stone keep before the start of the Hundred Years’ War. It was the seat of a barony in 1487 and a marquisate in 1633.
During the French Wars of Religion, La Mothe was torn between Catholics and Protestants. In 1582, once restored and armed with a Catholic garrison, the castle hosted three VIPs: Catherine de’ Medici and the royal Navarre couple, who came to discuss peace.
At the start of the 17th century, the castle was transformed into a Renaissance residence by Jean de Baudéan, the king’s lieutenant in Poitou.
In 1716, the castle was considered one of the most magnificent in the region. However, it lost its value after being abandoned in the French Revolution. In 1842, it was purchased; the two new owners sold it stone by stone.