From the 13th century, a new law stated that butchers had to slaughter and sell their animals on this square. Its old name « place des Bancs Charniers » designated the meat stalls.
Under the old regime, prisoners who were on death row were exhibited on crowded squares such as this one. Limoges was no exception and place des Bancs was an execution spot, with executioners living nearby.
Today, it has become a market place once again with markets which take place 5 times a week.
Two 1938 drawings by famous Russisn painter Vassily Kandinsky probably refer to this place. They are called « Figure de la place de Limoges » and « La place du marché de Limoges ». (For further information, click here : Geoculture website.)