In and after 1572, when the Senechal’s court was set up, and all through the 17th century, new families of justice officers settled down in the heart of Le Dorat. They were wealthy and brought new architectural styles to the town, influenced by the Renaissance.
This house was built where Claude de la Pouge’s old house used to be. He was the first lieutenant general of the Seneschal’s court. He was assassinated there by defenestration in 1578, by an armed group of men led by his court colleagues, after a court case dealing with politics, adultery and religion.
The house as it is today dates back to the late 17th century. It was built by a family of Seneschal magistrates, the Philippe family. During the French Revolution, it was used as a prison.
The building’s most remarkable features are its angle tower with a polygonal onion dome roof, made with chestnut shingles, and its majestic doorway.