Le Dorat church crypt was built by a chapter to house the relics of two local saints in 1130: Israël and Theobald. The relics were set up on either side of the altar in two gravestones which are not on display in the church’s southern chapel. In the 17th century, these relics were placed inside golden wood reliquaries, which could be seen in the choir portion of the church.
According to the « vitae », which were tales of the lives of these two saints, both came from the chapter of Le Dorat and were famous for their knowledge and their exemplary attitude between the late 10th and the early 11th centuries. One collection of 12th century documents states that a series of miracles took place upon their graves, after their deaths. Regardless of whether or not these statements are truthful, they are evidence of this religious community’s will to make Le Dorat a renowned spiritual centre, among the great religious establishments of Limousin.